Sunday, April 11, 2010

Winding down

So things here are winding down a bit. I'm officially less than 2 weeks left in Kabul. I must add that it will take me another week between when I leave Kabul and when I arrive in the States; but less than 2 weeks of work left, nonetheless.

Today we had our farewell for Gordon (Team UK) who leaves here tomorrow. His replacement, Simon, is in and accompanied me the last few days on a Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) trip. It will be quite a change to say the least.

Also, unexpectantly, Bruno (Team France) broke his leg while on a TAD trip to Mazar-e-Sharif (picture below). They have some wicked concrete culverts around the base, and it's very dark at night. Guess he made a bad step and cracked his leg pretty good (compound break in 3 different places). So he will be returning to France early, probably sometime this week. We visited him at the hospital here in Kabul (the accident happened yesterday and he arrived in Kabul today). He sure isn't happy; but we did our best to lift his spirits.

So between Gordon and Bruno leaving, as well as myself in 2 weeks or so, we'll have quite the turnover here. Add in the terrible news about the Polish President and it's been an interesting / somewhat somber last day or two.

Anyway, another day closer....

No comments:

Post a Comment