Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sayonara Kabul

Well, today was pretty much my last day here. We had a nice farewell luncheon with most of the team (picture below). I'll finish up a few things tomorrow and then head to Bagram the day after.

I had a nice meeting with a few colleagues tonight. Actually the new Greek group at KAIA (base I'm at) who have only been here since the first of the month. Somehow I evidently 'made an impression' on them, or maybe it's just their inherent hospitality. But they bought me a soda, traded emails and gave me a small parting gift (something I'll have to enjoy at home). It was really very nice and got me thinking about a quick trip to Greece (I can still get to Souda Bay for free on a military flight once I'm at home).

Also amongst them was Heida, from the Icelandic Crisis Response Unit (ICRU). The ICRU is a division of their Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the closest thing to a military they have. Heida does four months here at KAIA, then four months at home (vacation) before returning to the same job at KAIA for another four months. Her and another guy have been doing this for the past 2 and a half years, with plans for another two years. They both love it and they provide KAIA with a lot of historical expertise.

Finally, I was talking with Thomas from Luxembourg. Luxembourg's entire military is about 1,000 soldiers strong, with precisely 9 here in KAIA (and Afghanistan in total) and 25 in Bosnia. It just amazes me that Thomas' only wish (okay, not only wish, but one of them) was for the military to be a bit bigger so that they could do more frequent (and larger) rotations as part of NATO. Anyway, interesting night.

Bagram, here I come...(as long as the aircraft doesn't break before Saturday)


3 comments:

  1. looking forward to your return, safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and safe travels! Enjoy your homecoming!

    PS: Also, let me know if you actually make it to Greece ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so excited you'll be back - have a safe trip and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete