Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Packing

It's amazing to find out how much 'stuff' you've acquired in a pretty short amount of time. To be fair, I had to come out here with a lot of gear and have received many nice things from care packages from friends and family (and strangers). But as I start to go through stuff, as I know it will take some time to sort throught everything, you always wonder why you kept a random piece of wood for the past 5 months, always intending to turn it in to a magnificent shelf. Do I part with it now? Or do I give it to my replacement in hopes he will finish the task I left undone? He'll probably think I'm just weird, so I'm trying to throw out many things like this.

I have two sea bags already packed and inventoried with gear I haven't needed thus far and certainly won't need in the next month. Stuff like biological response gear (gas mask, suit, gloves, etc in case of a chemical/biological attack) and plenty of cold weather gear (parkas, long johns and more gloves). Of course all of this prep and organization will be for not, as I'm sure when I arrive in Kuwait I'll have to hurriedly dump everything out for customs inspections. Oh well.

Did I tell you I'm not looking forward to lugging around like 5 full sea bags? And it's not like I have to do it just once. I'll have to do it at least three times; in Bagram, Kuwait and back in the States (including moving over from the military contracted flight to some small commercial carrier). At least I'll be on my way home.

Anyway, that's my thought for tonight. Probably only have one more post in me before I leave Kabul, as I focus on finishing up work, turning over to my replacement (not in yet) and packing up.

Don't have any new pictures, so I found this old one of the 'CJ4 Battle Wagon'. She's quite a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment